Friday 22 June 2012

Day 01: Derry to Limavady (19 miles), and so it begins...


Well, what can I say about the first day of the walk. Baptism of rain and wind I think would be a fitting description. Instead of walking around 10 miles which was the plan to break myself in a little, I ended up walking all the way from Derry to Limavady, which is about 18.5 miles.

Cold and wet, and without lunch and breakfast, apart from some of yesterday's packed lunch leftovers and some oat cakes, I was gifted a chocolate bar from the supervisor in the Costcutter which was perfect timing as my blood-sugars were just beginning to drop.

My search then took me to the Alexander Arms where a fantastically supportive Donald Morgan and Christine gave me a full plate of steaming chicken and bacon pie with all the trimmings and a side order of Guiness.

Through an introduction from Edelle, a lovely man called Dan, who runs surf school on the north coast, got in touch. He put out some feelers which have brought me to sitting in the most wonderful hotel room at the Drummond Hotel, care of Mairead Peoples and her daughter Joan. Can't quite believe it.

Sleep is coming fast. More anon. Peacex 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show support by leaving a comment or following on Facebook, Twitter or by leaving your email address. Maxim